Hey there kinky krew!
I wanted to give you guys a more detailed rundown of how my wash days go. This is what I found works best for me and my kinky 4b/4c textured hair!
- I start out my wash days by thoroughly detangling my hair. I tend to keep the same protective style in all week, so I like to get rid of all that shedded hair before I start.
- I like to pre-poo my hair using a mixture of whatever oils I have on hand. I found that coconut, grapeseed, olive and a little bit of peppermint oil really works for me so I’ve been using that concoction for quite a while now. I then work the oils into my hair and scalp, paying special attention to my ends.
- After my prepoo has been applied I put my hair into 4 large twists and get my shampoo of choice to begin washing my hair. As of late I’ve been loving the Creme of Nature Pure-Licious Co-wash Cleansing Conditioner, its super moisturizing and cleanses my hair without stripping. I’ve also found that my shrinkage isn’t nearly as bad as it is when I use this cleanser. So, I work this conditioner in thoroughly, mainly focusing on my scalp as I go. I work with my hair in sections because this helps me keep my hair from tangling and it also helps me keep my hair stretched. After I feel that my hair is cleansed I rinse with cool water.
- I then reach for my deep conditioner. Depending on how I’m feeling I will either use my Palmer’s Coconut Oil Repairing Conditioner or my JBCO Shea Moisture Masque. (These have been my current favorites) I believe that my hair is high porosity so I try to incorporate more protein based products in my regimen. I apply this product to each of my sections very very generously. (You know how us naturals are with our deep conditioner lol). I like to deep condition with my heating cap most wash days but recently it’s been too hot. (This Texas weather is no joke) So, I’ve been using a grocery bag and bonnet to help my conditioner penetrate my hair. I will deep condition my hair for about an hour then rinse.
- Next I will split my hair into sections (usually 2-4) using hair ties and air dry my hair like that. This will give my hair a nice stretch as its drying. After a couple hours I’ll apply my leave-ins. I’ve been loving the Keravada hair butter leave-in and my moisturizing hair mix (check out the recipe here on my blog!). After that i’ll apply my grapeseed, olive, peppermint oil mix and do my twist out for the week!
Thank you guys for reading and I hope this step by step routine helped you in some way! Leave your wash day tips and tricks down below, i’d love to hear them! 🙂
Creme of Nature Co-wash:
Shea Moisture JBCO Masque:
KeraVada Hair Butter: