This year I wanted to make an effort to try more black owned hair care products, and with it being black history month I decided to take the extra step and contact the owners of the products to see if they would answer a few questions for my blog. I reached out to Mahisha Dellinger (The CEO of CURLS) after trying and loving the Blueberry Bliss line. I wanted to see if she would give my followers and me an inside look and she graciously accepted.
- How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 2+ years
- What was your reaction to the natural hair movement?
It’s about time! We needed to go to our roots.
- What’s one thing you swear by for your natural hair?
CURLS products…specifically our Blueberry Bliss Curl Collection
- What made you dive into the natural hair care business?
I was a newly natural mom looking natural hair care products, there weren’t any options on the market so I created them!
- What has been the greatest hardship since starting your company? How did you overcome?
Getting funding to launch my business was the biggest hurdle. Despite having exceptional personal credit, I couldn’t get a business loan. So I started on a small scale and grew the business organically…from an idea to a multi-million dollar business.
- What do you want Naturalistas to think when they see the name of your brand?
CURLS is created for us, by us!
- What is the key to success?
Persistence, determination, and sheer will.
- What’s your advice for young entrepreneurs?
Do your due diligence, know your target audience and market inside and out, and make sure to get an experienced mentor.
Thank you, Ms. Dellinger, for answering these questions for us and please keep making those amazing products!
My purpose for this project is to inspire all my young entrepreneurs out there to keep working hard even if you don’t see results right away. Most of the owners I will be interviewing built their brands from the ground up through hard work and perseverance. So don’t stop, your time is coming!
If you haven’t yet check out my Blueberry Bliss Product Review on 4C Hair: Twist-N-Shout Cream and Curl Control Paste.